Monday, January 16, 2012

Mrs. Personality

Realizing how lucky I am to have found someone that appreciates me and who is quick to downplay any shortcomings I might point out, I will often (jokingly) ask my husband what it is that keeps him hanging around.  His answer: "You're fun."  Oh good.  Of course I am happy that he enjoys our life together and, truly, we are the best of friends, but I can't help but think I should probably impress him with something besides my stand up routine.

Despite my mother's best efforts, I have never been what anyone would call "domesticated." Not that I don't prefer a clean house, it's just that, unlike my mother, I don't have a problem relaxing in one that isn't. Fortunately, I am married to a man who doesn't mind and, even better, willingly does his part without me even having to mention it. I am also not the "financially responsible one,"the "sweet-natured supporter," or a "natural in the kitchen." One might say that, although I am not necessarily a disaster at being any one of these things, most of my talents lie outside of the home, and, sadly for my sweet husband, outside of the marriage.  It may sound self-deprecating, but I prefer to see it as an honest assessment of my gifts.

I won't go into the cliche, formerly dateless, chubby school girl version of the story, but I was, and have been, type-cast in the "friend" role my entire life.  It is for this reason that I nearly broke a rib from laughing so hard this past weekend over what was supposed to be a romantic gesture on my husband's behalf.

We were on our way to dinner when the Monkees' song "I'm a Believer"came on the radio and we both started singing. I playfully asked if that is how he felt when we first met. He smiled and when the chorus started again, put his own twist on the song by changing the lyrics to "then I saw her personality, now I'm a believer." I literally cried I was laughing so hard. I knew he meant well, but really, is that what any girl wants to hear? Through my bouts of wheezing, I assured him that it is not.

There is probably a lesson to be found in being type-cast and, I am sure, this shoe fits comfortably for a reason. I have no doubts that my husband finds me attractive and, of course, there are worse things of which to be accused than having a fun personality. Surely some might say that if I really wanted to contribute more then I should probably sign up for cooking lessons or start dusting more often, but I think I'll stick to talking, smiling, and laughing.  After all, being fun is his favorite trait and I wouldn't want to disappoint.  

No comments:

Post a Comment