Sunday, February 26, 2012

As Promised ~ Oscar Predictions

Best Picture ~ The Artist
I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed this film.  Being a silent film, I was curious to see it, but wasn't sure how I was going to be able to sit through it.  And that is exactly why it should win.  In a world of instant gratification, technology, and sensory overload, where overt sexuality is king, The Artist swept me up into a story of a silent film actor resisting the changing of the film industry when everyone else around him was transitioning into the progressive new idea of "talkies."  With very few subtitles, the music and acting create a complete story and provoke all of the emotions usually propelled by the script.  The Artist should win and, as others have mentioned, Uggie was completely snubbed. 


Best Actor ~ Jean Dujardin, The Artist
See above.  He is a very animated French actor and I enjoyed watching him on screen.  After seeing him on several shows promoting his nomination, I like him even better.  


Best Actress ~  Viola Davis, The Help
I fear I may have missed Glenn Close's winning portrayal in Albert Nobbs, but my personal vote is for Viola Davis.  Trained at Juilliard, she is very articulate and professional.  I watched The Help again this weekend just to remind myself why I loved it so much.  She is phenomenal and deserves the win. 


Best Supporting Actor ~ Christopher Plummer, Beginnings
Honestly, I have it from Leah's Netflix queue but haven't had time to watch it this weekend.  My vote is based on his previous wins at other award shows and the amount of buzz surrounding him. 


Best Supporting Actress ~ Octavia Spencer, The Help
Again, just a fantastic movie and Octavia Spencer made Minny.  


Best Adapted Screenplay ~ Hugo
Directed by Martin Scorsese, this movie just felt magical to me.  I would think that anyone with a child between the ages of 8 and 12 would enjoy this story about a young boy who lives in the clock tower of a London train station.  


Best Original Score ~ The Artist
The entire movie is music; surely they will not overlook the amount of work that took. 


Best Documentary Short ~ Saving Face
This story follows a Pakistan-born Plastic Surgeon from the United States who gives back to his homeland by helping women who have been disfigured by acid-throwing crimes.  It is a story of sadness and redemption.  Unfortunately, the redemption is usually in the form of multiple surgeries to heal the physical scars.  The movement to find justice for these women is still in its early stages and moving slowly.  The greatest travesty is that the perpetrators are the husbands, fathers, and in-laws of these women, many of whom they still live with and who believe that they deserved the consequence for some action believed to have been committed.  


Best Animated Short Film ~ The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
Definitely my favorite short film and even better than some of the full length nominees.  As an avid reader, I was moved by the story's ability to show how books can bring us to life and even the idea that by reading we are giving them purpose as well.  It is whimsical and thought-provoking at the same time. 


Best Cinematography ~ The Tree of Life
This is the one I couldn't sit through and had to fast forward through many of the seemingly endless nature scenes.  The previews and the cast, which includes Brad Pitt, Sean Penn, and Jessica Chastain, make you want to think there is an actual plot.  Not so much.  Very artsy, far too long and, yet, it is right up Oscar's alley.  Best Nature Documentary with Random Acting, yes, not Best Picture by far. 


There are twenty-four categories in total to which we have voted on.  I am looking forward to our Oscar party and will give an update on how I did!


Movies I Endorse from this Oscar Season:


The Artist
The Help
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Hugo
Moneyball
The Iron Lady
Puss in Boots




Movies I Could Have Done Without:


The Tree of Life
The Descendants
Midnight in Paris (although Leah loved it.  Maybe because she is an English teacher.)
My Week with Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment