Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I Just Want To Write

I am currently training for my third half marathon and continue to find myself not wanting to put in the miles to achieve my goal.  I don't want to train, I just want a new shirt, a medal, and in this case, the Vera Bradley bag I will get for crossing the finish line.  Seeking the end result is a recurring theme in my life dating all the way back to my early days of piano lessons, brownie troup meetings, and dance practice.  All I wanted to do was play Cannon in D, wear my brownie uniform on Monday like the cool girls, and show up at the recital ready to dance my heart out.  Unfortunately this attitude of dreading the process has bled over to my adult life and it is affecting my writing. 

Four months later with only three blogs to show for it, clearly my attempt at blogging has not gone exactly as planned.  I can talk a million miles per minute, tell a story upon request, journal for pages at a time without stopping and still have no clue what to write on my blog.  It wasn't until I attended the "Blissdom Conference" in Nashville this past week that I finally feel like I have found my voice.  I have been so apprehensive about writing the mundane happenings of my everyday life that I haven't written anything... at all.  At Blissdom, in one of the writing tracks, we were given four seperate prompts during the course of a two hour track. It has been years since I have written in free flow, and you know what, it was refreshing.  It reminded me that I didn't start a blog to keep anyone updated or start a business, I started it so that I would practice writing and continue to develop my skills.  Anyone who knows me will tell you that, although annoying at times I am sure, I have a story for everything.  It just took a writing conference to show me that all I need is a little prompting.  The look of The Wrinkled Horn has been changed and from this post forward, I will consider this a "writing blog."  A blog which I will write based on prompts, current events, or random thoughts from the day.  My goal is to write one post per week and to eventually have readers submit prompts of their own.  I just want to write.

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! You're back! I love the new design (and can totally tell that it took time to create). I also love your reinvented writing style. I should have joined you in the writing tracks at the conference and soaked up some of that inspiration. I'm looking forward to your more frequent posts now, and here's to lots of prompts! :)

    ReplyDelete